Wendler 5/3/1: My round 1 review

Friday, September 06, 2013

I started weightlifting seriously in November 2012. Thanks to my work discount, I was finally able to pick up a weight bench and olympic bar. This motivated me to choose a program instead of picking random dumbbell exercises. Not knowing a whole lot about fitness, I decided to try Stronglifts which is a modified version of Starting Strength. I enjoyed the program for some time because I was getting stronger. When you start by only squatting bar weight the only where to go is up. Eventually, the program left me super fatigued despite meeting my daily macro nutrient requirements. That's when a kind soul over on Tumblr introduced me to Wendler 5/3/1.

Wendler 5/3/1 is a basic weightlifting program centered around powerlifting. It's structured around four main lifts: military press, deadlift, benchpress and squat. Each of the main lifts gets a separate day. You can either focus solely on the main lift or you can add supplemental work. Regardless of what you choose, the goal is to progress your main lift and to keep your workout under an hour. I like a lot of things about this program, but I really appreciate that he focuses a great deal of time on preventative care, stretching and proper form.

I finished up the program two weeks ago and was very satisfied with my progress.  All four weeks were enjoyable and challenging. I added 10 pounds to my deadlift and a few pounds to the other three lifts. While that may not sound like much, I definitely see it as a success.

What program have you seen the most success with?

You Might Also Like

0 comments