Standing Desk- A New Frontier Day 1

Monday, July 21, 2014

I picked up a Fitbit One a few weeks ago, and have been addicted to all of the metrics they provide. I've always enjoyed charts and quantitative info on things, so I figured it would be a good step. Because of  this article, I decided to convert my desk into a standing desk in order to burn a few more calories while testing the physical impact of of a standing desk. I'm not going to keep track of my time standing vs sitting, but anytime I need to use the computer it will be done while I am standing.

I'm about four hours into this whole standing desk thing, and my back and feet are starting to hurt. It's not major, but I definitely notice it. I guess it doesn't help that I'm barefoot, and that my computer may not be at the correct height. I've adjusted the height a few times, but there's only so much you can do with textbooks and miscellaneous household items. I will say that it has increased my productivity. I have more motivation to spend less time on the computer because I have to stand when I use it. I'm notoriously bad about wasting time on Reddit and Facebook.

My calories burned on day one weren't all that impressive. The Fitbit does not account for extra calories burned while standing, but I thought I would keep an eye on my step count anyway.

Fitbit One Standing Desk


The plus side of a standing desk? Aside from burning more calories, I get to have dance parties while I'm trying to work through tasks. It's much easier to dance standing up. Mood-wise, I'm ok. I was rather happy when I was dancing around, but now that I am standing here typing this in silence I am rather indifferent.

I will check back in a few days with another update.



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. So cool to see the results with that Fitbit One!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Promise that in the compound we'll have random dance parties all the time?

    I like how much information your FitBit gives you.

    ReplyDelete